Sunday, January 2, 2011

Ring in the new year!

Banner Elk was the after Christmas destination for my husband and I.  We had a great time.  Skied Sugar and Beech Mountain.  I recommend only Sugar though.  It had a lot of variety and longer runs.  What a crowded time of year during the day.  We enjoyed night skiing.  However, the scenery was much better during the day.  The mountains are gorgeous.  What a different life that would be from downtown Atlanta.  I suppose that is what makes vacation that much better, is when the experience is scarce.  We only went for two days but definitely worth the 5 hour drive.

Went to Zac Brown at Phillips on NYE, which is what inspired my blog title.  What a great song.  It helps put things into perspective.  The first thing I think of when I hear this song is on a more personal level.  I think about where my husband and I are in our lives.  Late twenties, no kids, no mortgage, no sickness among us or our family members.  I think about places we will go and things we will do to enjoy this great time in our lives.  It puts a big smile on my face just to know that we have that much freedom right now.  Secondly and selfishly, I think about the honorable men and women of the country that fight for our freedom everyday.  I had a good friend in the Army at one time, and I know what a toll it took on his life.  Not to say that it was all bad.  But to have to go through the mental trauma of being in the military is something that I do not know if I could do.  I commend those men and women and admire their courage.

New years resolution?  Well actually that is also inspired by another ZBB song called "Ain't in no hurry"...

In 2011, I want to slow down and enjoy the ride a little more.  Hard to do when you are also thinking you're free as you'll ever be.  But being free doesn't have to mean that I need to rush through everything and do as much as possible.  I am going to interpret it to mean that I can do the things I want to do and the resolution is to enjoy those things as much as possible by not rushing them.  Working in Corporate America also makes this resolution hard.  Turning off the efficiency cap, or as I sometimes like to call my pre-game mindset, is difficult.  But separating work and personal is important for me and something I need to keep in mind in 2011.

1 comment:

  1. You are wise beyond your years,and taking it slow is the way to go. Stop and smell the roses as they say. It looks like N.Carolina is in for another record setting year for snowfall. Sugar over Beech for sure. Happy switchback trails !

    ReplyDelete